You may think that mackerel in the morning is a tad too fishy. However, combined with a runny egg and some horseradish, it is so good! Think kippers, but better.
- LEVEL: Easy
- Prep: 15 Mins
- Cook: None
- SERVES: 1-2
*The best pre-smoked packaged mackerel I have tasted, is Heston from Waitrose Jasmine Tea Hot Smoked, at £3.99 for 150g.
*Value -supermarkets own brand plain smoked, Tesco Smoked Mackerel is pretty good!
2 x 35g smoked mackerel fillets, skinned and flaked
1 large handful baby spinach leaves
1 spring onion
1 slice of rye bread (or GF/ WF bread)
2 tsp. sunflower seeds
1 tbsp. horseradish sauce
1 tsp. half-fat crème fraiche
pinch sea salt (to taste)
pinch black pepper (to taste)
1. First, put the egg in a small pan of water, bring to the boil, then simmer for 6 minutes (for a liquid yolk and set white).
2. Second, toast the bread.
3. Whilst the egg is simmering, make the sauce.
4. Mix the crème fraiche, horseradish and juice of ½ lemon in a bowl, season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread the sauce on the toast and leave to one side.
5. Finely slice the spring onions and place in a medium sized bowl. Add the sunflower seeds, baby spinach and flaked mackerel and mix.
6. 6 minutes should have passed. If so, place the pan under the tap and pour in cold water to cool for a few minutes.
7. Meanwhile, heap the baby spinach mix on top of the toast.
8. Take the egg out of the pan, and peel away the shells.
9. Place the egg on the spinach mix and pierce, so the yolk begins to ooze out.
10. For on the go, cut the egg in half, cut the toast in half and place on-top of each other!
You must be logged in to add or save recipes to your Pik & Mix.
Please click here to login or create an account.