Sweet potatoes coated in a smoky, spicy nutty chipotle tahini is a wonderful thing. Suitable for all you vegans and vegetarians out there – put down your buddha bowl and give this a go. Best served in a warm corn or flour soft shell tortilla.
- LEVEL: Easy
- Prep: 20 Mins
- Cook: 30 Mins
- SERVES: 4-6
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
Hard shell? No. Instinctively I want to say harder. However, when it comes to tacos, it is the only instance where flaccid shells arouse my palette. Hard shells remind me of the good old ‘Tex-Mex’ days and are somewhat shambolic. Yes, they provide a delightful textural crunch, however, your sanity and taco is destroyed after the first bite. You basically get a pile of nachos, pointless. Therefore, the traditional soft taco takes my vote. The ease, foldability and texture are a winning combination of either a corn or flour tortilla. The corn tortilla has a slightly springier texture, whilst the flour is soft and chewier. Both are grand.
1 medium sweet potato, quartered
1tbsp. ground coriander
1 tbsp. ground cumin
200g sweetcorn, canned
200g chickpeas, canned
1 tbsp. yuzu (or 2 tbsp. lime juice)
20g coriander, roughly chopped
2 spring onions, roughly chopped
3 tbsp. tahini
3 tbsp. lime juice
1 garlic clove, chopped
3 chipotle peppers in abodo sauce
8 flour tortillas
2 avocados, sliced
sea salt (to taste)
ground black pepper (to taste)
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Toss the sweet potato with olive oil, coriander, cumin and sea salt. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 20 -30 minutes (or until soft and golden brown).
2. Whilst the sweet potato is cooking, in a small bowl mix the sweetcorn, chickpeas, 1 tbsp. olive oil, yuzu, coriander (leaving some to garnish) and season.
3. In a small food processor, make the tahini chipotle. Blend the tahini, lime juice, garlic, chipotle peppers, basil and 3 tbsp. olive oil. Add water if the sauce is too thick. Season (to taste) and add more peppers if you like it spicy!
4. To serve, add a spoonful of the sweetcorn mixture as a base, then lay avocado slices and sweet potato on top. Garnish with coriander and chipotle tahini.
- Beer, Modelo: £5.50 (sainsburys.co.uk)
- Corn Tortilla, Cool Chile Company: £2.35 (coolchile.co.uk)
- Chipotle Peppers, Bart: £3.23 (amazon.com)
- Yuzu, Waitrose: £5.49 (ocado.com)
- Tahini, Al Arz: £5.30 (ottolenghi.com)
- Chickpeas, Brindisa: £3.50 (ocado.com)
You must be logged in to add or save recipes to your Pik & Mix.
Please click here to login or create an account.