There is nothing better than a zesty, market fresh ceviche. So easy to make and such a nifty taco filling. Best served with bowls of think guacamole, fresh tomato salsa and ice cold Modelo and Michelada’s adorning the table (i.e. a “Mexican Bloody Mary’).When it comes to guacamole, homemade guacamole, sharp with lime, is the only way to go. Supermarket guac is awful – too garlicky and the texture is like toddler sick, far too to watery. As for that ambient jarred stuff in the Mexican aisle – steer clear!
- LEVEL: Easy
- Prep: 20 Mins
- Cook: 1 Hour (Marinate)
- SERVES: 6-8
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
300g raw tuna (sushi grade)
3 tbsp. lime juice
3 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. caster sugar
200g baby tomatoes (yellow & red preferable)
1 medium red onion
1 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
3 tbsp. pickled green jalapeño chillies, from jar
20g mint, roughly chopped
20g coriander, roughly chopped
1 tsp. date syrup (or maple syrup)
200g romaine lettuce, sliced (to garnish)
8 corn tortillas sea salt (to taste)
1. First, cut the tuna into small 1.5cm cubes. Top tip – use a VERY sharp knife to cut the tuna, otherwise this task will be both arduous & messy. Then, place the tuna in a medium sized bowl add the lemon juice, lime juice, caster sugar and a pinch of sea salt. Cover, refrigerate and leave to marinate for at least 1 hour (up to 3), tossing occasionally (every 30 minutes). The fish will ‘cook’ in the acidity, so wait until it turns white and opaque, but not falling to bits.
2. When the fish has nicely marinated, strain, discard the liquid and place into a large bowl.
3. To this bowl add the ‘salsa’. Quartered tomatoes, thinly diced red onion, and roughly chopped pickled jalapeños, coriander and mint. Stir in, olive oil, date syrup and an extra squeeze of lime juice. Season to taste.
4. When ready to eat, heat the tortilla in the microwave/ oven very briefly, to make soft. Heap a spoon of ceviche mixture on the tortilla & top with lettuce. Serve with lime wedges and lashings of homemade guacamole.
- Beer, Modelo: £5.50 (sainsburys.co.uk)
- Corn Tortilla, Cool Chile Company: £2.35 (coolchile.co.uk)
- Green Jalepenos, Clemente Jaques: £1.70 (mexgrocer.co.uk)
You must be logged in to add or save recipes to your Pik & Mix.
Please click here to login or create an account.